I took a charity shop skirt bought for £4.99 from Cancer research UK in Warrington
and a dress by Phase eight which had been an old favourite but was now a bit worn, to make a new dress from the two items.
The before dress was made of T shirt type fabric and I used the skirt part of it purely for the material to make
a new dress top in the style of a t shirt.
I did this by using a well fitting t shirt I already owned to make a pattern.
I made the pattern by laying some wrapping paper on the carpet, laying the t shirt on the paper and using pins to make holes in the paper in the shape of the t shirt. This method worked well and I have kept the paper pattern for later use.
The skirt before is shown below
It had an odd sort of top which was like trousers but did not provide a good fit.
There was, however, a useful belt.
The seams of the original skirt were on view so I turned it inside out.
I removed the trouser type top of the skirt and attached the made t shirt to the bottom half.
There was a problem that the skirt pulled the lighter top of the dress down with its weight.
I solved this by turning over the t shirt top so it actually looked like a t shirt over a skirt, shown below.
To finish off the neck I made some bias binding from left over top of skirt fabric. I hadn’t really intended to go for this small collar effect but the binding sat better that way.
Everyone thinks this is a skirt worn with a t shirt but it is more comfortable than that because there is no skirt waistband.
The belt finishes the look.
I am quite pleased with this dress and have worn it on several nights out.