I am quite new to sewing and up to now have mainly done refashions and alterations.
I wanted to try making something from a pattern but in a refashion sort of way, so when I spotted this pattern being given away with a sewing magazine it looked ideal for what I had in mind.
As the top was made of panels, it looked ideal for using up small pieces (some may say scraps) of fabric.
It also used princess seams and facings, both of which I wanted to try out.
The ‘feature’ front panel was to be made of pieces of fabric left over from previous refashions, most of the remaining sections were going to be made from a plain navy shirt sourced from the other side of the wardrobe.
I happily started laying out the pattern pieces when I realised it was going to be too small, so I needed to make it bigger. With no idea how to properly go about doing this, I just added a bit round each edge which seemed to be about the right amount to make it up a size bigger, also adding some length.
I erred on the side of too big and cut out my pieces
Once I started sewing, I had to make some modifications because just adding the same amount all round to the pattern did not really work out, it would obviously have been better to get the right size in the first place, but if I use this pattern again it will be about right.
For the centre panel I thought I would just make up a crazy patchwork of pieces. This was a lot more difficult than I imagined. Here is the messy back of this piece.
The original shirt pocket remains, although quite well hidden.
I actually quite like this top and its a good fit but its obviously home made nature is a problem in certain situations, I wouldn’t wear it to work. I am quite pleased to wear my refashions normally but with this one I worry what people will think, and there’s no point spending my time making something if I’m not going to wear it.