This sweater came from the other side of the wardrobe and was beng discarded because of the rather large hole near the hem.
It was good quality 100 % wool from Marks and Spencer, made in Madagascar. I don’t think I stuck to those ‘wash inside out’ instructions.
I liked the colour, which they are calling ‘denim’ and was not about to let it go to waste.
First stage was to cut off the bottom of the jumper to get rid of the hole. The jumper had been well worn and was somewhat felted so it didn’t fray during the surgery.
I also cut off the sleeves and the ribbing from the back of the neck, this left over-sized armholes which meant the sides had to be stitched up higher into the armpit, reducing the width in the bust area, and making the top more snug by accident rather than design.
This left the length a bit short so I used some fabric from my stash, which used to be a shirt, to add a tabbed panel to make a new co-ordinating hemline and add some length. I left the former shirt buttons in place for detail.
I also used the former shirt to make a facing for the back of the neck.
Finally I salvaged intact parts of the hemline rib folded over, to bind the armholes, the idea being to make it look like the neckline ribbing. This was the trickiest part of the project, I was worried about the binding gaping so stretched it out quite a lot but it still ended up a little too wide on the outer edge.
The finished article:
The wool is quite soft and comfy enough to be worn either next to the skin or over a light shirt.
I spent a happy evening home alone making christmas tree decorations from scraps.