sweatshirt

Sweatshirt refashion

Posted on

This grey superman sweatshirt was soft and comfy but the logo was faded and there were some paint splashes.

The plan was to replace the front of the sweatshirt with the red parkrun shirt but keep the neck and waist ribbing from the sweatshirt.

Parkrun is a weekly timed 5 km run which is free and open to everyone. There are milestone shirts and this one belonged to my husband who has now completed over 400 runs and left this 50 milestone way behind. I have in fact completed more than 50 myself but never bought the t-shirt so technically I am entitled to wear it.

I wanted to use the back of the red top as the front of the sweatshirt to showcase the 50 runs logo which was the same colour as the sweatshirt.

The red top was already a perfect fit but the sweatshirt was quite roomy.

Here are the labels, I like looking at labels

Its faded but 80% cotton 20% polyester, made in Morocco

A sub plan for this refashion was to challenge myself not to make any mistakes – as each refashion is a prototype it is more usual than not for me to make some mistake along the way. Not thinking it through properly before taking action, results in seam ripper action instead, so before setting off with the scissors I did a lot of thinking, planning, pinning and looking in the mirror.

There were some fit issues to deal with namely shorten the length and make the sleeves narrower.

I cut the sweatshirt at the shoulder seams, to take the excess length from there as I wanted to preserve the ribbing at the bottom.

What followed next was a lot of cutting up. I cut out the whole front section of the sweatshirt, except for a seam allowance sized strip all round, and used the cut out section as a pattern to cut out the same piece from the red top. I also cut off the neckline ribbing, leaving a seam allowance sized length attached, and cut off the sleeves.

Next it was all pinned together to have a look. I recently invested in some new and expensive long glass head pins which were very effective in keeping the whole thing together and not falling out.

The sweatshirt had a grown on sleeve whereas the red top had a standard armscye arrangement so happily pulling the sleeve forward slightly to pin to the new red front also magically shortened the sleeve to the right length

All pinned together

I had to open up the red top with a cut down the centre front in order to cut a wide enough piece for the new front. Using the back as the new front produced a higher neck than I wanted. When I tried it on pinned together but without the ribbing it looked OK as a boat neck.

As it was all pinned together already, the sewing part was actually quite quick, starting with the shoulder seams, then the sides (leaving a few cm open at the bottom), then top stitching the bottom seam to the ribbing. Neither of these fabrics frayed or slipped and no ironing of seams was required so the sewing was also quite easy.

Having toyed with the idea of a simple boat neck the most difficult bit was attaching the neck banding. As the new neck was wider than the old my first idea was to use half red and half grey but laying the old binding on top of the new neckline, it seemed that it would have sufficient stretch to manage the new size.

I pinned on the grey binding then changed my mind and changed to the red. In the end there was a bit more stretching out of the neckband than was really desirable but this is more noticeable when the garment is on a hanger than when it is being worn because wearing it stretches the neck a bit.

As a final flourish I hand sewed the superman label to one of the sleeves.

Dulwich parkrun Christmas 2018, before obviously.

After, 31.16 unofficial time.

Bonus feature: forays into crochet

As well as a stash of fabric I have a (may I say much smaller) stash of wool which I decided to re-visit.

I made this short cape from some wool given to me by my daughter

It looks better on

And this lacy shawl from some cotton yarn.

I could get to like crochet, this shawl was completed in a single evening. I bought this cotton yarn when I was in my carefree twenties, never for one minute imagining it would be 30 years before I actually made something from it. Young women with big stashes be warned!

Advertisements